Forum

Hello everybody!

Here's for my presentation:

Callsign: Crifort

Internet connection: 300Mbps FTTH

Time zone: CET

Availability: depending on the job and the girlfriend, usually at least 2-3 evenings per week, sometimes during the day on weekends

Approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS: a lot...

Knowledge with ME: I dabble with it occasionally, together with MOOSE and MIST, and the CTLD and CSAR scripts, by I'm by no means am expert

Preferred chopper: right now I mostly fly the Mi8 for transport missions on the Rotorheads server, but I get along pretty well with the Gazelle and the Ka50. I'm really excited for the Kiowa though.

My expectations:

Right now I spend a lot of time on the Rotorheads server, and I'm having tons of fun, so I'm looking for other places to put my "skill" to use.

I'm an active military air traffic controller in an army aviation corps, so on the one hand I have real world experience with helicopter operations and tactics in active warzones, on the other hand I'm really not looking for a group that tries to tell me I'm a sergeant again and where I have to call others "sir" or by any military rank, I get that all day long.... (I hope that's not one of those milsim squadrons here)

Basically I'm looking for a place where I can fly helicopters on DCS when I'm available and where there is an objective and everybody works together to reach that, all of that in a nice community where you get to contribute with your knowledge and where you feel to learn new skills.

Hope to see you soon!

Crifort

• Re: New application Crifort

by » 3 years ago

Hello Crifort!

Did you ever come across a virtual squadron where you had to call everyone "Sir"? Really? surprised

No. Nothing like this here. I don't know how "milsim" we are according to your definition, but since DCS is a military simulation, we are likely to be a bit into military procedures somehow. I want to believe we are trying our best to cater for the pilots looking for realism while not being nazi with pilots who want to fly and enjoy missions when life is giving them some free time. But it is a very delicate balance to find to please everyone.

We have a training system in place based on the US Army one and 3 RL or "Readiness Levels". RL3 for the trainee, RL2 for pilots who understands how a helicopter flies, RL1 for pilots who understands how to fight with a helicopter in a complex combat environment, and they all match some minimum defined tasks that the pilot should be able to perform. If you have a lot of flight hours in DCS helicopters, most likely you won't spend more than a week or two as RL3 and quickly go to RL2. RL2 pilots can fly any of the combat missions. But you need to be RL1 to take part in the multisquadron events that we are invited to attend or that we are organizing. So that's basically the most "milsim" we are getting here. The reason for this is that there is no enjoyment for a seasoned RW pilot to fly a combat mission with someone that has no idea what he should do or how his chopper works, and there is no enjoyment either to fly a combat mission with seasoned pilots for a new guy that have no idea what's going on.

You will find A LOT of active duty or veterans in this squadron. I don't think we have another military ATC guy though. That's really interesting (hope you are doing a bit of Lotatc sometimes?).

Anyway, next stop is your intro flight. You'll be assigned to the EU company, UH platoon since you are an Mi8 driver. Don't worry, you can always ask to be transferred to another platoon if a new module like the 58 (OH) or 24 (AH) comes out and is more appealing to you.  

Jump on BSD Discord (if you are not already there) and give us a shout so one of our instructors can give you a quick check ride. It's not a pass/fail test. Just an informal way of meeting with the pilots, giving you an idea on how we are working, see if you like it, and a bit how much work we will have with you to bring you to combat readiness.

See you soon online.

by » 3 years ago

Yeah, I came across a squadron like that a few months back, can't remember the name though. I had a voice call on discord with a recruiter who was a 19 year old kid who told me I was just a rookie and that I had to call him sir. Didn't sit well with me 😐

Military procedures are fine by me since it's a military simulation add you said, I just don't want to feel like I'm going through bootcamp again while I'm at home.

I get that there has to be a ranking system, and the RL system seems perfectly fine and logical to me.

I've been switching around a few different airframes over time, starting with the mirage, going over to the f18, a bit of gazelle here and there, and since October I'm concentrating on the Mi8, but I'm not an expert. I do manage to hop onto a server, start it up, do a few hours of troop transport without crashing, sling loading is still a bit more difficult, I'm kinda slow picking up the load sometimes, and very careful for the approach.

I had a look at LotATC a few months ago, looked promising. If there is a need for it I'm willing to try!

by » 3 years ago

Wow, thanks for the write up and if you ever call me sir I'll be looking around for my Dad. We don't do that here.
    I'll just echo what BaD said, I'm known as BK and run the EU side along with my second Gizmo. 

Lets get you in a chopper and fly a bit. After a flight and a chat we can get you sorted and on your way.

UH for now, you would want to look for Miki or Moleivitch for all things MI-8

We do have a military SOP based on the US army but you don't have to say sir! 

Fun fact, Rotorheads server is run by a good friend of ours who used to be a member and flew with us.

Also we have the Dev's on here from Polychop. So we get the lowdown on all things they are working on.

I'm sure when the 58 drops we will be posting to them every question you can think of.

Other than that let get in the air and fly. Let us know when is good for you, and we will make it happen.

Again, welcome to the Den.

by » 3 years ago

Yeah, I notice a few guys with [BSD] in their tag on the Rotorheads discord and got curious 😝

by » 3 years ago

Let me know when you want to go up and we can get it done. Are you on our Discord yet?

by » 3 years ago

Yep, I did the sign in on discord, but I won't be available until after Christmas!

by » 3 years ago

Hey crifort 

EU no2 here.....as has been previously stated we may be "milsimmers" but we are not interested in calling or requiring anyone to be called Sir......WTF......i have slippers older than 19 years old which have probably seen more action as well.

Suffice to say this is a place where people who have a passion for helicopters get together, chew the fat, take the mickey and fly some awesome missions together as a team. We have all sorts participating in the squadron so if you like helicopter can deal with banter and a joke as well as give it back then this is the place the hang out.

I look forward to seeing you on the flight line......and don't you dare call me sir.....I work for a living.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.