Forum

New Application

in RECRUITMENT 4 years ago

Callsign:      Pilgrim

Internet connection:     Varies based on location, I work remotely full time and use a 4G router 

Timezone:     UTC-8 (PST)

Availability:     Evenings, after 8pm PST

Flight hours:     100+ 

Mission editor exp:      very little

Preferred chopper:      UH-1 Huey

Expectations:      I'd like to develop my virtual flying skills with other serious players and learn from everyone here. I started flying DCS to fly with others and want to join in on cooperative missions, working together to achieve the mission. I just love flying helicopters. I'm a former Marine grunt that spent enough time in the back of them to appreciate the realism of DCS and the team play involved in joining a squadron like BSD. Plus, I'd love to learn how to create missions and contribute in that way as well. I'm still pretty new to DCS but I'm excited to dive in!

• Re: New Application

by » 4 years ago

Welcome Pilgrim!

First thing first we will set up an introduction flight with you. It can be any time that you and an Unit trainer or Instructor pilot are free.

It gives you a good chance to see what we do, how we do and make up your mind if it is for you.
    It also gives us a good chance to see where you are with your skills and what if anything you need to work on.
    Very informal just a flight around the base and maybe a flight out to a ship and back. A chance to chat and get to know each other.

Once you decide you like what you see, you will be asked to join as a trainee. You will have access to all the documents and information to help you advance and learn the helicopters you fly.

The readiness level progression starts at RL3 and moves to RL1. We ask you at least attend twice a month to stay current on the training.
    The more you are here and active the more you will learn and advance.

There are many knowledgeable pilots to help you along the way, any questions you have feel free to ask. Also former and current military here as well.

So let's start the first step and get a good time to do an introduction flight.

With BSD having both US and EU time zone flights even if you work odd hours you will be able to catch one flight or another.

If you haven't yet please join our Discord, we use that to chat and for voice chat.

Welcome to the BSD.
    BK,CO
    BSD_EU.

by » 4 years ago

Hi Pilgrim! Welcome to BSD! Well BK said pretty much everything already. Missions are usually EST or CET. We are also trying to have missions on the weekends to have both regions flying together. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Hope to see you soon online!

by » 4 years ago

Welcome aboard, and we are very happy to get you onboarded as quickly and efficiently as possible Sir.  

by » 4 years ago

Thanks guys. Sounds great! 

I'm available tomorrow night 9-11pm PST. Alternatively I can make most nights at that time frame work. 

I'm excited to fly, but I have a question. Currently I only have the samsung heaphones with mic that came with my phone. Will that work or do I need to upgrade in order to communicate effectively? I've done a few online multiplayer missions but haven't had the chance to talk to anyone while flying to test it out. I plan on upgrading soon, but need to know if it'll suffice for an intro flight. 

by » 4 years ago

Only thing to do is try it out. If it works then ok. If not you may need to get a headset. 

I use this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-h600-wireless-headset-black/3436118.p?skuId=3436118

Just because I don't like the wire hanging on my side. Battery life is good. more than 6 hours. 

9 PST is 12 am East. May be a few on at that time. But its late. EU time would be your Noon. How are you for weekends?

by » 4 years ago

My availability is usually the same, I have toddlers that have to go to bed before I can dedicate time to myself. 

by » 4 years ago

Yeah that is my fear you fall into a time zone, that is too late for US, and too early for EU. US time would be 6 pm for you or Noon for EU. 

by » 4 years ago

Damn. Not many west coast pilots in BSD then? 

by » 4 years ago

A few, some of us East coast guys are up late into the night as well. So its still doable.

by » 4 years ago

Cool, how do I get started?

by » 4 years ago

Lets set up a time and day to get a flight in, nothing fancy just a flight around and we can chat and go from there. I normally fly the EU times but I could be around for US times too. If not me maybe another UT or IP could be on. I might be free tonight if you are.

by » 4 years ago

I can do it tonight, 9pm PST. I'm not sure how to set up the voice chat. I have discord and SRS installed. 

by » 4 years ago

just let me know, I'll make it any night this week. 

by » 4 years ago

Yeah as you can tell I wasn't up last night. I will be tonight if you can be around. Are you on the Discord?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.