Forum

Hello hello!

• your call sign: "spice" is fine, but isn't any good callsign supposed to be assigned TO you rather than BY you? :)
  • your age (must be over 18 years old) 38
  • your type of internet connection and speed  15 up, 60 down I believe
  • your timezone PST, UTC -7/-8
  • your availability during the week and or weekends. Changes with work as I freelance, but usually about 25% on weekdays after 1900 and about 1/4 of weekend days.
  • your approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS A few hundred, about 2/3 of that in rotary wing. Took a big break of about a year until 2.5 recently came out.
  • your knowledge level with the integrated DCS Mission Editor I understand the fundamentals enough to be endlessly frustrated with it, coming from Arma! Haven't made any significant missions but lots of little training things.
  • your preferred chopper (you can love them all!) Ka-50/Gazelle. Have the Huey with few hours in. Don't have the Mi-8 mostly because I never had much reason to.
  • your expectations w.r.t BSD. My experience in DCS so far has been limited to fairly casual flights with a buddy and a couple dozen hours on the big multiplayer server, none of which have really elevated my proficiency beyond a certain point. So while I'm somewhat confident in my basic flying ability, lexicon, and use of weapons systems, my exposure to comms/navigation systems/etc has been pretty low and my experience working in an experienced truly collaborative group has been too. I'd like to expand both of those things and learn a lot more! At the same time, being realistic with my time, I know there may be extended periods where I'm not able to put any time towards DCS, so I don't expect to catapult through the "ranks" or become a truly expert pilot. I'd like to meet some good folks with a baseline of competence and go from there!
  • Re: Application for Spice

by » 6 years ago

Hi Spice! And welcome!

Wow, with the activity on the forum, I almost missed your post. Whatever you want to  be called, you should try to have the same nickname and callsign because everyone will forgot who is unipus once we get used of calling you spice.

PST 1900 should be good as we are flying often during weekdays at 2100 EST. We do have flights during the weekend too, but it is less common, unless our EU pilot are setting something up. 

Let me know when you can join a training session. I am going to set up one this coming thursday 2100 EST. Very basic stuff. Patterns, radio comms, formation flight. Maybe some shooting practice. Just fun flying together. No preparation required. Make sure you can cold start your chopper. That's all.

How is it working for you?

Also, there is a lot of activity on our Discord server. You should really join us (right toolbar/discord icon/connect).

by » 6 years ago

Will do on the Discord next time I'm at my home PC. Thursday is a maybe for me right now as I just picked up a new project due that day. Also I'm desperately trying to finish a DCS film I'm making this week. But if my deadline goes as planned, I will pop in for sure. Honestly do not recall how to cold start the Ka-50 at all, it's been at least a year or two. But easy enough to study up with a few spare minutes, I'm sure it'll come back. Gazelle I can do, she's a simple bird.

by » 6 years ago

As for the username, happy to change it but I can't actually find where to change anything about my profile on here. I can get to a profile page but no apparent way to edit.

by » 6 years ago

I've done that for you. Remember that you need to login with username Spice now.

Yeah, the Gazelle is simple to start up but a bit more tricky to fly. So it is a harder aircraft to stay current with. I am working on a mission involving SA342 hence the training Thursday. We are avoiding to fly on Wednesday because this is usually when updates are done by ED and this can potentially screw up the whole mission.

Are you using Mods with your DCS? If so, are you using ovGME to install them?

Are you familiar with SimpleRadio?

by » 6 years ago

Welcome aboard Spice!  

I think you'll like it here.  cool

by » 6 years ago

Welcome Spice! You have found your way to the best co-op chopper squad around. As far as flying, this is one place you can fly what you like and really dig into the how's and why's of an aircraft. Some of us jump around to different ones now and then. Its all up to you on what you want to fly. Unit trainers can help if you have questions about anything on a certain aircraft. Or a quick refresher on a KA-50 cold start to jog the memory. 

Looking forward to flying with you soon.

BK.

by » 6 years ago

Look forward to flying with you.  Welcome!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.