Forum

Hello

So far, I was "active" on the ED forum. Molevitch asked me to join your group because some Mi-8 pilots are needed. He saw my videos how I landed the Huey at Caen and thought I might be qualified to join here wink

• call sign: Groundhog
  • your age (must be over 18 years old): 42
  • your type of internet connection and speed: calbe, 30/2 MBit
  • your timezone: UTC+1 (Switzerland), currently +2 due to DST
  • your availability during the week: in general evenings 9pm or 9:30pm except Monday/Tuesday. Thursday/Friday prefered. Sometimes Sat/Sun 2pm or later
  • your approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS: around 200h, over 120h with the Huey and over 40h with the Mi-8 (and counting), a few hours with the Gazelle and hardly any experience with the Ka-50.
  • your knowledge level with the integrated DCS Mission Editor: basic knowledge (triggers), no lua script experience
  • your preferred chopper (you can love them all!): While the Huey was my favourite for a long time, I start to prefer the Mi-8. For combat missions, the Huey still seems my 1st choice (slick) because it's easier to land it quick. For attacking, the hip might be the better choice, but I sometimes I mess up with the correct weapon settings.
  • your expectations w.r.t BSD.

Actually, I don't have many expectations. I've been an offline player for ages and I was fine with that. Lately, I joined a mixed jet/chopper group to get some online experience (my DCS online experience is still low). The missions are more dynamic and radio communication can be interesting. The advantage of online seems that you pay more attention because there's no "ok, let's restart the mission". Well, easily said, my expectations are to fly the Huey or the Mi-8 with some other fellow members. It's a nice change, but I also still want to fly offline. Both modes have its advantages.

Enough written - just in case you want to check out how I fly the Hip and the Huey:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJX2av4UE4xqWto3y8EZWMw

• Re: Application for Groundhog

by » 7 years ago

Hi Groundhog! Welcome to the Blackshark den.

We do different missions and are a co-op type squad not a "online server " squad. We don't rinse and repeat. We focus more on the training of an aircraft and how best to use it in combat before we do use it in combat.

We have a few real life pilots to help us do that, and they do! Online is fun if you are with a group that plays as you do. Radio communication is Simple radio and teamspeak. It's not to hard to set up or use but Teamspeak is the old stand by.

Look forward to flying with you. Let us know if there is a day you could get together for a flight.

by » 7 years ago

Hi Groundhpg... welcome Sir...

Looking forward to flying with you...

by » 7 years ago

Hi Groundhog. Welcome to BSD. Check out the roster to see when is the next training flight and PM Gizzy or Eagle_Rising for the details in how to join  the TS server. 

by » 7 years ago

Thank you, I'll deal with it this evenin (concerning the roster/schedule/training flight).

I have experience with TS and SR, so it shouldn't be a hard task. I did never use SR with the Mi-8 so far though (only with the Huey), so I'll have to try out.

I'm fine with co-op type missions even though I only have few experience. However, I once flew a mission where we had to get out troops behind the enemy lines. So the gunship had to use supression fire to make sure the slick can savely land.

by » 7 years ago

Welcome Groundhog,

Sounds like you'll fit right in here! Looking forward to flying with you soon.

Molevitch

by » 7 years ago

Sorry to ask...but I'm not quite sure about the Training Flight. So I simply go to the calender and look for "Training" or "Greet and Meet"? There aren't any upcoming trainings flight in there.

by » 7 years ago

Hi Groundhog...

PM me with your general evening availability and I try and arrange a suitable slot for a laid back flight with the Huey or the Mi8 whatever suits and we'll take it from there...  I'm -1 on your time so it should not be too difficult.

Hopefully you should just slot straight in...

by » 7 years ago

Sir, yes, sir ;-) I would have sent you a pm, but I seem to struggle in this forum :( I simply did not find the button to send a pm when I looked at your profile.

Thus, I'll post my dates here

This week, Wednesday or Thursday would fit (between 19:00 and 23:00 my time, 18:00-22:00 your time). 23:00 means "end of flight" though and not start of flight....

Friday could work the same time, but it's not sure yet. Also, the weekend plans are not made yet. Therefore I can't say much about it. Either Saturday or Sunday after-noon may work, but not both.

Otherwise, next week, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday 19:00-23:00 again.

Looking forward for a flight.

by » 7 years ago

No worries.... Wed will be good say 1800z... I send you a PM... yeah this site has its peculiarities but hunt about and you'll find the send button :)

Then if you feel like it we have flying activity on Thursday (dependent on take-up)  night around 18.15z involving BSD and 229th, a regular European friendly time slot.`

by » 7 years ago

Thanks, Wednesday 1800 your time (1900 my time) sounds good.

Ok, I'll hunt for it...if I'm lucky, I'll even find your pm sometimes wink

Thursday 1815 sounds also good.

by » 7 years ago

PM Inbound...  start hunting - ha ha...

by » 7 years ago

Well, I just got a normal e-mail which made it easy to reply to your mail wink

by » 7 years ago

PM can be found in the Pilots section of the main menu when you are in the forum. YOu can also go straight to it from the main page by clickng on right part where is is written Mail Box (PM). Not sure you can reply to the email sent. It will probably send it to the admin. You need to log in your mail box.

by » 7 years ago

The way it is set up if you currently receive a PM notification it gives the registered email address of the BSD sender...

by » 7 years ago

Thank you. Well, I was in the "Pilot Roster" menu and completely oversaw the "Pilote private messaging" menu....

I should probably change my nickname from "Groundhog" to "blind surfer"? ;-)

Anyway, one last question for the training flight - will it be DCS 1.5.7 or 2.0? And will it be with weapon useage or not? If so, I'd probably favorize the Huey over the Hip. I have no problem to fly the Hip, but sometimes I'm not 100% sure which Pod to chose to have the right weapon. So it ends up like "let's press the fire button and let's see if it will fire rockets or the pod". On the other hand, I'm actually more used to the Hip. Well, I guess we'll see. I'll fly whatever Gizzy tells me to take (as long as it's Huey or Hip) ;-)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.