Forum

Greetings,

I go by the callsign FatSheep, am 34 yo, residing in the CET/CEST. Internet speed is 32/1Mbps ... no antennas involved.
Availability depends on what I've currently going on which can vary from day to day. Should be available after 1900 during the week and almost no limits during the weekend with some energy drinks. Currently we're enjoying/fighting a heat wave with around 24°C at night, so I might have different plans.

I've started all the way back with LoMAC and the original BlackShark. In the Ka-50 alone I must have hundreds of flight hours by now and it's just gonna get more after the BS3 update. It's definitely my go-to module.
Recently picked up the Mi-8 as well but didn't study it yet. Once it's auto-started I can handle the weapons, some of the NAV equipment and most of the time I don't VRS to death. The shaking still scares the crap out of me, especially when carrying cargo.
Also own FC and the 3 Hs (Harrier, Hog, Hornet) and I'm decent with all of them, although my A2A has become rusty. Not that I plan on doing much fixed-wing, at least until the F-16 is out and fully functional.
Don't have any terrain DLC since I figured none would run well on my (now improved) gaming machine. Might get PG during one of the next sales.

I can set up basic missions in the ME including scripting (triggers, zones, flags,..) although I haven't done anything noteworthy with it yet. Some time ago I was working on setting up a more complex mission dedicated to helicopters using MOOSE (similar to "Operation Bactria" iirc), but since I'm completely new to LUA coding and couldn't deal with the minimal MOOSE documentation that never went anywhere. Still throwing ideas around to try again.

For about a year I was away from DCS and when I came back I wasn't really impressed with the "public server landscape" in terms of chopper related content. I figured the most fun I could have in the Ka-50 would be as part of a dedicated group of rotor-heads and that's how I made it here. I'm really not expecting much except for heaving some good flights together and maybe learn a few things about the Mi-8.

I saw you got a discord channel so I'll hopping onto that later this weekend. Need to fix my microphone so I'm probably not gonna fly, except if "open mic" while using the discord app would be acceptable. I suppose you're using SRS otherwise.

Looking forward to lifting with some of you guys.

• Re: pigs glide, FatSheep can fly

by » 5 years ago

Always nice to read an introduction from someone who took time to write sentences instead of answering with bullet points. Call me old school, lol.

Anyway, welcome to BSD Fatsheep. This is your lucky day as we just opened a EU branch only a few months ago. So you should be able to fly at more decent hours than flying with the US group. 

I will let our EU high commander BlackWolf guide you through the process but basically, you just join one of our training session and fly around with us, so we get to know you and you get to know us. Just know how to start your chopper from cold (please no auto start, this is not how you are supposed to know your aircraft), and fly being able to maintain a constant speed, altitude and heading, no more. Shooting things down are usually pretty secondary. Sure you need to know that but that's not really where the difficulty resides for helicopters, unlike FW that can fly itself.

We are not very strong on attendance since we all understand real life comes first, but we are still asking for you to fly at least once a month with us so the time we are spending training you is not lost. Flying choppers IRL or in DCS requires a lot of muscle memory.

Yes, come on Discord and you should be able to get on the EU chat for joining a training session.

Welcome to BSD!

• Re: pigs glide, FatSheep can fly

by » 5 years ago

Hi Fatsheep say's the wolf! :P

Welcome to the group!

Like Bad said, we just get together and fly a little while. We chat, get to know each other. If you feel its a good fit for you, and we do as well you will be asked to join.

If you agree, you will be a trainee until you go through our Readiness Level course (or RL progression). I will send you a list of easy tasks you need to know to get from RL3 to 2 to 1. It can be done in a very few flights.

Seems everyone in the EU is getting the heatwave, I have pilots in the UK that can't put the VR headset on it so hot!

I have a few KA-50 pilots so you will fit right in. I can help with the MI-8. Once you learn its quirks its fun to fly.

Weekends seem to work for most of the EU guys. We have yet to pick a week day for all so its just a come fly if your free for now during the week. 1900 CEST? or Zulu? 2000 to 2100 CEST is about where we are.

Ok so first thing just post a time you can be on for a very informal meet and greet. It may be just me, or others from BSD EU and US to just fly around,and we can go from there.

Good to see another "old gamer" LOMAC, ah good times, I started when it was Flanker 2.5, not even DCS yet :)

Welcome the the best Rotor Heads club!

BK

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.