Forum

Hi, I'm 48 and use the call-sign Redline, because rotorcraft under fire seems like a very thin red line. Though I'm sure the feeling of being on a blade's edge of death is much worse in real life. I have a 20Mbps Broadband Internet connection in the Zulu timezone, United Kingdom.

My availability is flexible, but it depends on workload. I'm a software developer by trade. Hard to guestimate how much time I've spent over the years in DCS. Must be hundreds if not thousands of hours. It's been my cheap flight training option, since real training in the United Kingdom is pretty steep. My DCS mission editing skills are minimal. Haven't spent too long in the editor. Mainly because I normally do that kind of thing for work, not play.

I tend to prefer the lighter helicopters. Guess that's due to my experience with R22. I did some training hours at a helicopter flight school a year or so ago in Scotland. So if I was to pick a favourite, I'd pick SA342 at present. Though I'm looking forward to flying Polychop's BO-105. But I also like the Huey. The UH-1's flight model feels slightly closer to real life: more ground effect, better translational lift and more realistic autorotation compared to the Gazelle. Not that I've ever flown a Huey, or a Gazelle. It just feels more right, if you know what I mean. Love the Mi-8 too, though it feels like the rotorised version of a tank. Hope they do an Mi-24 one day; now that would be a buster of tanks!

I have no expectations. I'm too easy-going for that. Well, mostly. I'm not a gamer as such; more of a sim'er. I like realistic. That's why I like DCS. The more realistic the better; the harder the better. You chaps seem to be that way too. Slightly masochistic? Any way, I like flying as a team; flying alone in a battle simulation seems wrong. First, you can't learn from others. Second, the lone-wolf is more vulnerable, and less disciplined. That amounts to failure. The team succeeds, not the loner.

• Re: Application for Redline

by » 7 years ago

Hi Redline (You should setup your nickname/callsign in your profile instead so your full name doesn't show up), and welcome to BSD.

Thanks for this introduction. We are getting a a small number of pilots from UK and Germany now, but the time zone is definitively an issue for them since this group is mostly based in the US. Since we don't have enough missions creator (for the moment it's just me in 99% of the time), the missions are set when I can fly, that is mostly weekdays evenings E.S.T time. Flying in the afternoons (evenings for you) is rare (but not impossible). I know we have US pilots who are sometimes available in the afternoons or willing to fly in the weekends. But to do this, we need missions.

If this is still OK for you, since I am off tomorrow, we can have an introduction flight in the evening (UK time) so we can have a chat and some fun flying on a gazelle. What do you think? Tonight is a pure IFR training flight with nothing to shoot, and it will be 2 am for you so I don't think this is a proper way of starting to fly with us.

by » 7 years ago

Hi Redline,

Mole here, another UK based BSD subscriber. I have only managed one or two flights with BSD due to time difference, but I like to keep in touch. If you want someone in the same time zone for easy evening practice, I am willing. I work from home, semi-retired, and fly DCS 4 out of 7 nights a week, (and sometimes a cheeky afternoon mission). I am still barely qualified at BSD but they tolerate me anyway:) I have many hundreds of hours on DCS, (thousands?), but am a bit lazy too. I want to improve my procedures, like full start-ups, IFR, navigation and radio comms. Just started to install Voiceattack, but not fully setup yet. I am a responsible father and husband too, so rarely choose to spend a day on DCS stuff. I like to build my own controls as well.

In the New Year, I plan to be able to make it for some 2am flights with BaD, Wolf, Eagle, Spiderpig and all the other BSD members.

I look forward to meeting you on DCS, talking on TS, on a BSD mission, sometime in 2017. I am away for Christmas til Jan 3rd. Have fun!

Molevitch

Molevitch

by » 7 years ago

> You should setup your nickname/callsign in your profile instead so your full name doesn't show up

Thanks. I did try to fix that. But exactly how escapes me. Is there a setting somewhere that says "use callsign?"

> and welcome to BSD.

Appreciate the invitation. Many thanks.

> If this is still OK for you, since I am off tomorrow, we can have an introduction flight in the evening (UK time) so we can have a chat and some fun flying on a gazelle. What do you think? Tonight is a pure IFR training flight with nothing to shoot, and it will be 2 am for you so I don't think this is a proper way of starting to fly with us.

Let's go with your recommendation. I need to set up UniversRadio anyway. Not used it before. I imagine it's not dissimilar to SRS, but there may be some mapping issues to work through. My dexterity operating the radios on the Russian machines is not quite up-to-scratch either. I've been reminding myself this evening: operating the Mi-8's Doppler system, and all that jazz. So that sounds better. Tomorrow evening Zulu.

by » 7 years ago

Mole wrote:

Mole here, another UK based BSD subscriber. I have only managed one or two flights with BSD due to time difference, but I like to keep in touch. If you want someone in the same time zone for easy evening practice, I am willing. I work from home, semi-retired, and fly DCS 4 out of 7 nights a week, (and sometimes a cheeky afternoon mission). I am still barely qualified at BSD but they tolerate me anyway:) I have many hundreds of hours on DCS, (thousands?), but am a bit lazy too. I want to improve my procedures, like full start-ups, IFR, navigation and radio comms. Just started to install Voiceattack, but not fully setup yet. I am a responsible father and husband too, so rarely choose to spend a day on DCS stuff. I like to build my own controls as well.

In the New Year, I plan to be able to make it for some 2am flights with BaD, Wolf, Eagle, Spiderpig and all the other BSD members.

I look forward to meeting you on DCS, talking on TS, on a BSD mission, sometime in 2017. I am away for Christmas til Jan 3rd. Have fun!

Hey Mole,

Thanks for the kind welcome. Sounds great. Yes, let's do some training flights. That would be good; we could kick some REDFOR butt on BlueFlag or something, a flight of choppers can make a big dent on that campaign. I work from home too; self-employed. The BSD crew do seem rather nice. Perhaps they'll tolerate me too ;-) 

I tried VoiceAttack a while back. Gave up. The voice recognition just isn't good enough. Not for my voice. It must be the northern English. I just end up shouting at it! And that only makes it worse. 

I'm hoping to make some 2am flights too. Not tried it before. It probably works out okay, I imagine. So long as the following day isn't too heavy. Looking forward to meeting you too. Have a great Xmas.

Best wishes,

Redline

by » 7 years ago

Hey Red,

Sorry I sent you the info about the TS server a bit at the last minute. We didn't see you though at the mission tonight. We assumed that 2 am was not the best time for you to fly.

by » 7 years ago

Hey Bad, 

Apologies. We've had a communication failure. In our previous exchange I thought we'd agreed that I'd skip the mission for now and meet up this evening (Zulu) for training flight to make sure I'm hunky-dory with the radio set up, etc. Still have no TeamSpeak address, for example. 

Regards, Red

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.