Forum

Hello, fellow sim pilots,

My name is Paul, and I am interested in checking out Black Shark Den. On to the meat of the post

Call Sign:  Spike

Internet Connection: 66Mbps Download/21Mbps Upload based on an oh-so-reliable internet test, Comcast broadband

Timezone: CST/CDT (Zulu -6/-5)

Availability:  Once or twice a week, after 8pm CDT is preferred, but could do earlier on the weekends or if given enough notice during the week (wife and 8 month old kid generally run my life before 8pm).  This coming week (9/11 until 9/16) may be bad for any kind of training/familiarity flight since the in-laws are in town.  But next weekend or any evening after that should be good.

DCS Time:  I would say several hundred hours overall.  I bought the KA-50 in 2009, and have been flying it on and off since then. I also own the A10C and Huey modules (and Combined Arms...if that even counts), along with whatever is free (SU-25 and TF-P51?). 

Mission Editor Experience:  I created a few single player missions for the KA-50 and 80% of a mini campaign for the Huey (7 missions long).  I would say I'm competent at creating single player missions, but I don't know how much is different creating one for multiplayer. 

Preferred Chopper:  Either the Ka-50 or the Huey.  I've played them both extensively.  I am currently running through all the single player campaigns for the KA-50, so am up to speed on that one. It's been awhile since I cold-started the Huey, so I would need a few days to get caught up, although I can still take off, fly, and land with it currently.  I don't own the Mi-8, as it hold little appeal to me for some reason.  I am open to being convinced otherwise, though!  I would like the pick up the Gazelle at some point, but am on somewhat of a budget so generally wait until a nice massive sale reduces the price to $20 or $30 at most.

Why Black Shark Den?: From what little I've seen (postings on the DCS forums and this website), this group seems like a friendly little group.  I'd like to join and see if multiplayer can make the experience even better.  I'm sure there are a million things I don't know about or am flat out doing wrong, and I would like any advice to help become a better virtual pilot.  Similarly, nothing cements a concept like teaching it to someone else, so if there are any others that I can help, I am always more than willing.  To a certain extent, I enjoy making missions, and maybe actually showing them to others would generate some positive feedback and constructive criticism on what I can do better.  (Although creating missions can be one of the most frustrating things in the world...follow the f'ing road, you stupid convoy!!!)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.  I'm looking forward to flying with you all!

Spike

• Re: Spike's application

by » 8 years ago

Hi Spike!

Thanks for this pretty exhaustive presentation. I believe once you are flying MP with us, you'll never fly SP anymore. I am glad to hear you are familiar with mission editing. There is not a lot of difference between MP mission editing and SP mission one. Just remember to set up the aircraft as clients!

It is likely that you'll want to acquire all the choppers module after flying with us! Mi-8 is a beauty to master, systems, weapons and flight wise. Gazelle is challenging too, have a thermal imager, RWR and can shoots AA missiles!

If you are available, you can join our training session Tuesday 0900PM EST. We will do some radio coms, patterns and short navigations. I'll PM you the details to join our TS server. Let me know.

by » 8 years ago

Hey Spike!

I started with the Ka-50 as well..I ended up getting all the choppers. The Mi-8 ( The dump truck as I call it) Is very easy learn and hard to master. Just like a guitar. I was on the fence about getting it so I did some reading on it. It is the Russian version of a Huey..it does it all,  its very fun to fly and its so ugly its cute!  Good to hear you know your way around the ME. A few of us are working on missions so Bad doesn't have to be the only one building them. We are getting close to having a lot of different missions to fly. A nice friendly group, real pilots as well as sim ones. Very laid back guys, its a sim and we always have fun online.

Looking forward to flying with you sometime!

BK

by » 8 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!  I should able to do Tuesday evening; shoot me the details and I'll join.  Should I brush up on the Huey, or can I fly the Ka-50?  I'll also start poking around the ME again, since it's been a few months since I attempted the Huey campaign.

Thanks again!

Spike

by » 8 years ago

Thanks for enrolling in Tuesday's training mission. Trainings are often multi platform so you can fly whatever you like this time. I'll PM you the details for connecting on the TS server.

by » 8 years ago

Nice to meet you Spike.  I look forward to flying with you Tue. if you can make it.  

I'll echo the comments on the Mi-8.  I've owned it since it came out, but finally started to figure out how to fly it last week.  It is by far the most advanced helicopter in DCS (regarding what you need to learn to master it) - yes even more so than the KA-50.  Why?  Because, like Blackwolf said, easy to learn, but difficult to master.  The weapon systems can be very complex (lots to learn to understand how to use them all effectively - from several different guns pods, and rockets, to bombs on a helicopter). But also, depending on the mission, altitude, weather, loadout, etc., to fly the Mi-8 correctly, you cannot ignore real world stuff like weight, pressure altitude, performance envelopes, and how all that affects the Mi-8.  All of that might scare you away from learning the Mi-8, but remember the point, easy to learn.  After one Saturday, I was able to fly it and employ a basic set of weapons.  So I can fly missions with it now. But I can see that I will spend just as much time learning how to master the Mi-8 as I spent learning the KA-50 or A10.

As for shear fun with minimal learning curve, though, the Gazelle is best for that.  It has some advanced weapons systems (more advanced than point and shoot - and easy to become combat effective with them right away), but they are really obvious how they work - especially for anyone familiar with other guided weapons systems like on the KA-50, A10, etc. 

Regards,
    Michael

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.