Forum

• callsign: gadget
  • type of internet connection and speed:  NBN50  (FTTN VDSL) ~38 Mbps DOWN / ~11 Mbps  UP
  • timezone: EST Melbourne Australia (UTC+10)
  • availability during the week and or weekends. - All (off work - disability) I have jpined and been flying Hueys with the 229th and will continue to do so as much as I can, I enjoy flying with Huckleberry (dead smooth), easy for me to fly with USA guys (youre night is my day, but EU guys are in the wee hours for me which is more of a struggle.
  • approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS: unknown, possibly a few hundreed over several years, with probably a 2 year break until March 2018?
  • knowledge level with the integrated DCS Mission Editor: honestly haven't done much with it, always did included training missions, then discovered online MP servers and never had to get involved. I dont code so have relied on some of the other guys scripting missions.
  • preferred chopper (you can love them all!) -
    • Started on KA50 and really enjoyed it, I was fairly competant at limited systems I was proficient with, even on just a MS flightstick and no collective, no pedals, no track-IR & just 1 small screen
    • Huey (slick/CSAR not really the gunship type), now using Flight link controllers suite and oculus rift , much more immersive
  • expectations w.r.t BSD: hope to become proficient in attack helicopter operations
    • KA50 gunship operations in teams, not solo.
    • to pick the brains of some of the real world military pilots to get some (unclassified/non-sensitive) operational procedural elements down pat so that I can fly competently enough to be seen as an asset, rather than a (lunatic )  liability
    • refine my flying skills, improve my proficiency/competency with systems (ABRIS etc)
    • become proficient at military flight mission planning and operate as part of / or eventually lead kill teams into combat on 'cold war style' masisve anti-armour missions.
    • revise / retrain on data-link target handoff , used to use it a lot when flying on the 104th servers a few years ago, but ended up being banned for excessive ping times (old ADSL link), which was disappointing as I lost contact with several good friends I had met on the server.
    • improve on my instrument work, old school navigation and dead reckoning
    • I used to be able to target and handoff targets via data link to other KA50s, but required the other KA50 driver to be able to receive the targets .... often a lost cause with unknown pilot
    • I was also passing targets via the ABRIS & PVI-800 to A10's  as basic 9-liners, that werent really 9 liners as much as struggles in futility
    • looking forward to finding some proficient pilots here that I can learn from or help along, as well as some real world mil pilots to lead me so that I can also learn to perform adequate battle field assessments and to command when the time comes
    • many of my skills with the KA50 , ABRIS, PVI800 have deteriorated or vaporised with atrophy
  • Hardware:
    • i have modified the collective with the hand grip of an old Thrustmaster TQS which I've buthchered and connected to a USB HID I/O card, which has given me some HOTAS capability as well as VR and mouse now more usable than a screen and also invested in voice attack, which I use in huey but have yet to set up anything much for KA50
  • experience:
    • i was a Commercial Helicopter pilot with just over 200 hours (low timer), R22, R44 and B206 endorsements as well as low-level rating, was working towards Ag rating and instructor ticket.
    • lost my class 1 aviation medical so can no longer fly
    • i am ex-military (infantry) spent most of it in recon/sniper platoon
  • Re: New Application for gadget

by » 6 years ago

Hi Gadget and thanks for the really nice intro. I was worried when I saw you were leaving so far away, but actually, you are right, it should be easier for you US time than EU time, assuming you are free in the morning. We have a training flight wednesday at 9 pm, that's 11 am for you. Would you like to join?

Also, we are using Discord to meet up. You ll find the link to join our server by clicking on the Discord icon on the right then connect.

by » 6 years ago

Hi Gadget, Welcome! Bad said it right the US time should be easier for you. I used to fly with a Aussie squad way back in the day and it was right at 12 hour difference from where they were.

I see you are looking to do more gunship op's with the KA-50, I think we can help with that. Join us when you can on discord and we can go through some stuff, a refresh course on the KA-50. We can get you up to speed in no time sir.

BK

by » 6 years ago

Great to have an Aussie here!  

A big welcome aboard Gadget and I hope you like the stuff we do around here and fly with us a LOT.  

/Fargo

by » 6 years ago

Welcome!  I look forward to flying with you.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.