Forum

EDITED:  CHANGED CALL SIGN

your call sign:   Fargo

your age (must be over 18 years old):   Late 40's

your type of internet connection and speed:   Verizon Fios 50/50

your timezone:  EST 

your availability during the week:  Generally pretty good

your approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS:  Over 100  

your knowledge level with the integrated DCS Mission Editor:  High.  As I have a technical background,  I also do a lot of mission design work using the MOOSE framework.  I would consider myself a competent mission designer, but I've only done single player missions so far.

your preferred chopper (you can love them all!) Mi-8, and looking forward to the MI-24 like a fat kid looks forward to a chocolate bar.

your expectations w.r.t BSD.:   I feel like I am ready to start going to the next level.   I enjoy flying the Mi-8 and try to put emphasis on flying it smoothly and in a very controlled way, like a real helo instead of jerking it through the sky.  I can start, take off, operate all the radios and navigation systems well (ARK-9, ARK-UD, R-828/nav), competently deploy weapon systems, and can make rooftop/platform/ship landings pretty reliably.   

I would like to improve my flying, enjoy the camaraderie  that it seems Black Shark Den offers, and put some of my missions on the table to see how the guys enjoy them.  

• Re: Application for Fargo, Phila, PA

by » 7 years ago

Welcome Babu, and thanks for the great post!

You have come to the right place, as we focus on how to better our skills in this sim world. The training and tips from real world pilots help a lot. More than anything adding missions to fly is a lot of fun and helps move us along. We are co-op so we don't normally fly in servers aka "rinse and repeat".

We do use Simple Radio, have our own mod pack/skins and so on. We try to fly one mission a week and have a training day a week if anyone wants or needs it.

Do you have a day you could fly a intro flight with us? Just a hour or so to get to know us and see what we do.

We all are waiting for the MI-24 like a fat kid waiting on the ice cream truck! :P

Look forward to flying with you sir.

BK

by » 7 years ago

Let us not forget the communist level comraderie.

Welcome Babu. Hope u like BSD!

by » 7 years ago

Welcome Babu,

I look forward to flying with you I think you will see that we have a good group of people here who enjoy flying. I think BK covered most of the main points, just let us know when you want to fly and we'll get an intro flight set up.

by » 7 years ago

Welcome Comrade Babu! I look forward to flying Mi-8s in formation with you, and will no doubt be pairing up as Hunter-Killers in the Mi-24 when it is delivered....

This Friday, I am finally heading to the Weston Helicopter Museum, UK, to get some in -cockpit time in their Mi-24 and Mi-8, with camera. I don't expect to leave the ground, but will be taking pictures and a steel ruler with me! If I have time, I will be exploring what ever else I can there!

Molevitch

Molevitch

by » 7 years ago

Great guys, I am free Monday, Tuesday and Friday this week after 1700 EST.  

Looking forward to the intro flight.  

I don't know how to use simpleradio.  I've connected to online servers in the game a few times so I will need a little guidance on that.   

Molevitch - dude that's awesome.   Looking forward to the pics and a write up.   I am envious.   

by » 7 years ago

OK, guess I am late here at welcoming you Babu. embarassed Thanks for your intro. Got excited when I read you are proficient in Mission Editing. We need pilots eager to propose even simple missions on a regular basis. I think you went through the BSD philosophy page, but, although we are not asking for our pilots to fly every week, we are looking for a little bit of commitment since, depending on your level, you will find amazing people here willing to spend time to teach you the intricacies of flying helicopters, whether solo or in formations, as well as avoiding being shot down too soon in a mission. We have a training program set up to make sure pilots meet a minimum level to fly missions together. I know it doesn't sound very exciting at first, and some of our current pilots were not too happy about that, but it turned out to be a great benefit for the community as we have a very diverse population here, from casual DCS pilots to real life military ones. Don't worry, most of us went through the first level in a couple of hours. 

We need to set up a welcoming party for you. You'll fly around with some of our guys and do the usual stuff, patterns, landings and take offs. Unless it is the first time ever for you to fly a DCS helicopter (and apparently it is not), there is no chance for you not to meet the minimum requirements. So no stress.

Unfortunately, my pit is currently under re construction and Eagle (one of our instructor) is still trying to get his stuff back on line after the hurricane. Our other instructor, Gizzy, is based in the UK and shares his time between BSD and 229th, so he is not always available that late in the week. As a result, the activity this September has not been as high as before. But all of our pilots here are already familiar with the welcoming party so I trust their judgement. Let me know when is the best time in the week to set this up. We are usually meeting during the week. I will send you the details of our TS sever. I can still host and be a spectator anyway.

by » 7 years ago

Fargo007 wrote:

Great guys, I am free Monday, Tuesday and Friday this week after 1700 EST.  

Looking forward to the intro flight.  

I don't know how to use simpleradio.  I've connected to online servers in the game a few times so I will need a little guidance on that.   

Molevitch - dude that's awesome.   Looking forward to the pics and a write up.   I am envious.   

OK, we posted at the same time. Don't worry about simple radio yet then, but have a look at it on ED forum because you will have to use it sometime later if you are still willing to join.

by » 7 years ago

I'm glad to hear there's a thirst for missions here.  

Here's one I built, but would have to tweak for multiplayer (easy I think).  

It's near sunset in February.  The squadron is stationed in Kobuleti, where there has been an insurgency fomenting  (BabuRiba interjects:  insurgents are my favorite enemy). 

A group of attack helicopters will hit a known hideout and obliterate it.   

They find out that the insurgency knew the attack was coming, and have distributed their vehicles throughout the city.   The trucks weren't all at the hideout.  They are all on the run and are just trying to make it to dark where it will be more difficult to find them.    

There's good news and bad news: 

Good:   The trucks are all the same model.  That ugly blue thing.  The command bird has to go pick up two spooks at the airfield HQ, and they reveal that the insurgent vehicles have a tracking device installed and are all beaconing on 21.5FM.   This means Mi-8 and Huey's can radiolocate them.   Time to fire up the R-828......

The squadron will fan out around the city, locate these vehicles and destroy them.

The bad news: No collateral damage or loss of property to civilians is acceptable.  

There are a number of possible ways we could knock this down.  Pair up a Kamov and an Mi-8/Huey and go to work as a paint & kill team?  

Or use the door gunners on those transport helos?

I can even put an allied AI aircraft up there that will scan and call out the coordinates via MGRS if you want to go after them hardcore with no radio.   

BEHIND THE SCENES:  

I have a number of hidden zones defined via MOOSE framework, and defined as a table.  

Using the Spawn() class with InitLimit() mehods, I can spawn any number of insurgent vehicles, randomized among all the zones, randomizing their routes, with say on how many of them are alive at any one time before new ones are spawned.   All carrying a low power radio transmitter.  

I've been flying this mission for a little while and it's by far my favorite.   I use the door gunner, which I take control off after I establish a smooth orbit around the vehicle.  

Version 2 of this will see the 1-12 insurgents that were in the vehicle un-ass it after it explodes, and begin directing fire at the air asset that shot their truck up.   This part of the code is still experimental.  

by » 7 years ago

Well done for getting to grips with MOOSE! Too complex for my tired old brain.... Maybe you can give me some pointers. I still have to build and offer a mission of my own, nothing too complicated, but gotta get my wings. 

Molevitch

by » 7 years ago

Sure, I will post the code of every mission I make and try to comment it out well.   

It's definitely not "easy," but it's do-able, at least for basic stuff.   

Best thing to do is go after it one small step at a time.  

e.g.:  

Goal:  "Spawn an enemy truck at trigger zone Y."  

Not particularly exciting, but if you get that working, you build on it.   e.g.

Goal:  "Spawn an enemy truck at trigger zone Y, only, when I enter trigger zone X"

Then you start working with random zones.   Zones that are defined around moving vehicles, and all sorts of tricks.   If you build in enough random elements, a mission is never the same twice.  

Some of this you can just paste into a "do script" trigger action, but at a certain point when you need to bring more logic in, you need to start creating a script file.  

An easier way to go is to just pick the MOOSE mission that's closest to what you want to do, and just add to & modify what's already there.  A lot of my learning (especially about the possibilities) was done by taking snippets out of the sample mission code.  

by » 7 years ago

Hi Fargo...

Welcome to the BSD Sir... I hope you like us.... we're a good bunch except for a particular worrisome gremlin that keeps appearing every time I set something up...  I reckon Wolf keeps releasing him to run amok with my scripting!

Anyway, PM inbound...

by » 7 years ago

LOL yes its all me, I'm the bad penny! That's why my lucky (bort) number is 13! Anyways I'll be around Monday night to cause havoc if you choose to fly sir.

by » 7 years ago

Welcome Babu!  I look forward to flying with you and flying your missions!

Ten Beers

by » 7 years ago

Babu, if you can master MOOSE, BSD wants you!!!

by » 7 years ago

Pretty far from mastering it, but I can use it.  Like a club.  wink

I'm flyin' with Gizzy this afternoon.   

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.