Forum

• your call sign: Reed
  • your age: 34
  • your type of internet connection and speed: xfinity cable, highest speed I can pay for
  • your timezone:  Central USA
  • your availability during the week: I work 24 hours shift 2-3 days per week and have a wife, so 1-2 days per week
  • your approximate number of flight hours already spent on DCS: minimal maybe 20
  • your knowledge level with the integrated DCS Mission Editor: none
  • your preferred chopper: huey and gazelle
  • your expectations w.r.t BSD: To learn and develop skills in the DCS universe. I play ARMA 3 as a pilot now. I want to improve my skills as a pilot with DCS, have fun, and learn. I can take and land the huey, hover in large area and cold start. Still figuring out the comms, radios, weapon systems, and game of DCS.
  • Re: Application for Reed

by » 7 years ago

Hi Reed,

Thanks for your post. You have found the right group to learn from. We have many Veteran pilots from the sims and a few real world chopper pilots as well. If you can cold start, take off and land you're almost there.

We can help with the how, why and what for weapons, radios and all that. Let us know what would be a good time for you to have a flight.

First flight we look for where you are in the controls, how you handle your chopper and how well you can fly a pattern and maintain altitude, speed and so on. This gives us an idea of what to work on to get you flying like a pro. Weapons and all that can come later.  I look forward to flying with you sir.

BK 

by » 7 years ago

We'll have a session this week if you are available along with Trip Rodriguez since you guys applied almost at the same time. Have a look at my reply to Trip for the requirements. Let us know the best evening for you. We usually hold MP sessions at 2100 EST.

by » 7 years ago

Excellent. IRL I am a Flight Nurse. We utilize EuroCopter or Airbus EC130, EC135, EC145. I am available Wed, Thurs, Friday night, depending on the Wife. I just bought the Gazelle and am trying to learn it. Cant wait to fly along side yal.

by » 7 years ago

Alright, let's meet Thursday then, 2100 EST. I'll send you the details to connect on the TS server. Make sure you are familiar with the Gazelle systems (they are not very hard to learn). We'll do a cold start, some patterns and precision landings and maybe shoot a HOT3 or two for your evaluation. 

We are using mostly DCS Release version 1.5.6 (latest version) and a mod in our training missions that you can get here. Are you good with all that?

by » 7 years ago

Excellent, I should be able to make Thur. My dog is having surgery, so unless things go bad, Ill be available. I just got the Gazelle so I am still learning the systems, but have gotten it started a few times. The mods is the issue I have. I have no knowledge of modding DCS or how to even get started. I've read people are using OvGME over JSGME now. Thats as far as Ive gotten. Id love some profiles for the huey and gazelle also. i have mapped all the keys myself, but it is not very intuitive. I've only gotten 20  hours or so in DCS. Plus, I have DCS through Steam, so I am not sure if that matters.

Sincerely,

Reed

by » 7 years ago

Hi Reed,

Well, I am using OvGME but some of us are still using JSGME, which is alright. How it works is pretty well explained in the readme or on the ED forum. It's pretty simple and intuitive but you can also mod your DCS by simply adding manually the files to your DCS install. It's just more convenient to use OvGME or JSGME as it is usually recommended to remove the mods when your are upgrading your DCS install, then re apply them.

I am sending you the details to connect on TS server. Talk to you tomorrow.

by » 7 years ago

I had a great time last night. Learned a lot from the instruction and little time I was able to fly. Can't wait to do it again.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.